Monday, September 19, 2011

Sit right back and you'll hear a Winter's Tale

Here's a sort of hodgepodge of thoughts I've had while reading Acts II through IV of The Winter's Tale:

-------------------------------------------------------------

- I found three instances of characters comparing their characteristics as if they are measurable.

Paulina, talking about Hermione: "... a gracious innocent soul, More free than he is jealous."

Paulina, talking about herself: "... no less honest Than you are mad ..."

Hermione, in her testimony for the court: "You, my lord, best know, Who least will seem to do so, my past life Hath been as continent, as chaste, as true, As I am now unhappy."

It looks as though Hermione and Paulina should be understood as the opposite of Leontes. Where Leontes is the nadir, Hermione and Paulina are the zenith.

Also, do we do this in real life? Do we say "I'm as good at" something "as he or she is bad at" something? Do we compare ourselves to others with exact quantities?

Another way to think of it: Does the worst day of your life counterbalance the best day of your life? Does one unit of happiness equal one unit of unhappiness? Or does a little bit of happiness outweigh a lot of unhappiness? Or is it vice versa?

-------------------------------------------------------------

- I noticed two references very close to each other to shoulders.

Clown, when describing the bear attack he just saw: "And then for the land-service, to see how the bear tore out his shoulder-bone; how he cried to me for help and said his name was Antigonus, a nobleman."

Autolycus, when he is faking an injury to take advantage of the Clown: "O, good sir, softly, good sir! I fear, sir, my shoulder-blade is out."

The two events are 16 years apart in the story, and on either side of an intermission while watching the play. But when you read it, they seem like they are right next to each other. So I guess it might be a way that Shakespeare is playing with the fast-forward through time. Or, is it a foreshadowing of what is to come? Should this injured traveler's shoulder remind the Clown of Antigonus' shoulder being eaten by a bear? Should he be anticipating the story coming full circle? Should we?

Huh, I don't know, maybe I have a thing with the symbolism of body parts.

Speaking of bears, here's Jim and Dwight having an academic discussion on what bear is best:  

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://images.askmen.com/celebs/men/entertainment_200/230_james_bondlarge_image-1.jpg
- A pretty obvious connection with Polixenes spying on his son and Polonius wanting to spy on his, right? One thing that is different to me is that Polixenes is doing it himself, instead of sending someone else with instructions of how to spy. What does that say about Polixenes? Is he more paranoid than Polonius? Or more of a "do-it-yourselfer" than Polonius?

3 comments:

  1. I really like your question about happiness and sadness outweighing each other. I'd like to think that my happiness carries more weight than my sadness, but sometimes that is just not the case. I think that many of us focus on what is hard in our lives and don't realize the blessings and happiness around us. When we're focusing on the Gospel and things that will truly bring us happiness, it is easy to let the joy take over- but the same can also be said for sadness. When we aren't trying to be happy or see the good, one bad experience can overtake our lives. Am I alone in believing this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Case in point: the football game on Saturday! It was only a couple of hours, but I let it ruin my whole weekend basically, haha. I think it is true that it's easy to let our sadness weigh us down more than we let our cheerfulness lift us up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shakespeare may be alerting us that too often we do this. With all of our topics we can write "the teachings of Shakespeare." Haha, he had a good handle on life from our groups point of view.
    It seems as though he is touching on coveting a little bit. I am guilty of comparing myself to others, and like Lauren said it is good to "count our many blessings."
    Bummer about the game J.J.. You'll recover.

    ReplyDelete