Thursday, October 13, 2011

1953 Julius Caesar live blog #1

Opening credits:

Oh, I didn't know Joseph L. Mankiewicz directed this movie. I've seen two other movies by him: All About Eve and Guys and Dolls. Guys and Dolls also has Marlon Brando in it, as a talk-singing gambler, two years later. So Mankiewicz must have gotten to know Brando through Julius Caesar, and somehow thought Mark Antony would make for a perfect Skye Masterson. Interesting.

And All About Eve is one of my favorite movies. I think it has the best screenplay writing I've ever seen in a movie. If you've never seen it, definitely check it out.

What's interesting to me is that both these movies have a sort of feminine theme to them. Guys and Dolls is about guys more than about dolls. But it's a musical, which makes it not very manly. And All About Eve is like the original Nancy Meyers movie. I love 'em, and it's smart writing, but it doesn't exactly increase my macho factor.

I wonder if Julius Caesar is going to be connected to that theme in any way.


No comments:

Post a Comment